IDIOMS: Das ist mir Wurscht

edited November 2016 in German

It is time to expand our vocabulary by learning some German idioms. Idioms, of course, are defined by the dictionary as “a group of words established by usage as having a meaning not deducible from those of the individual words”.  Examples in English would be “Cold Turkey” or “it rains cats and dogs”.

Using idioms adds incredible flavor to your speech and puts you well on your way to sounding like a native. Understanding idioms and using them is therefore essential for every language learner.

Today I will discuss one of my favorite German idioms: “Das ist mir Wurscht”. This idiom literally translates to “This is like sausage to me” and means “I do not care, I could not care less or using the words of Rhett Butler “Frankly, my dear, I don’t give a damn”.

There are, of course, several idioms in the German language that contain the word sausage, but this is the most commonly and widely used one.

Why do we say this? Well, if you take a moment to look at a sausage you will notice that it looks the same on both ends. For Germans, this is about as deep as it goes. 

So if somebody asks you whether you would prefer the steak or the lobster, and the answer is not both, you may consider the answer “Das ist mir Wurscht”.

Comments

• Hmm, this reminds me of the phrase...das ist mir egal.  Did I type that correctly?
  • You did and that is indeed one of the translations of this idiom!
Sign In to comment.