New Year's Resolutions and The Future Tense in Portuguese

edited January 9 in Portuguese

New Year’s Resolutions and the Future Tense in Portuguese

There are several ways of expressing the future in Portuguese.

For planned events, such as train schedules, arrival times, or parties, you can use the simple present.

For example: 

O trem parte às vinte e quarenta e cinco. The train leaves at 8:45 p.m.

O avião chega às oito e meia. The plane arrives at 8:30

A festa é dia cinco de setembro. The party is on September 5.

Another way to express the future is using the verb ir, to go, and the main verb in the infinitive. This is called the immediate future and is used to talk about an action that is going to take place in the near future.

For example:

Amanhã eu vou ao escritório às sete. Tomorrow I’m going to the office at 7:00.

Que horas você vai jogar futebol na sexta? What time are you going to play soccer on Friday?

You can also talk about the future using the future tense, which corresponds to the English future with will. This future tense is more formal than the immediate future above.

To form the future tense, add the endings –ei, –á, –emos, –ão onto the infinitive of a verb.

So the future of the verb falar, to speak, is eu falarei, você falará, ele/ela falará, nós falaremos, vocês falarão, eles/elas falarão. (I’ll speak, you’ll speak, he’ll/she’ll speak, we’ll speak, you’ll, they’ll speak)

O Sr. Rodrigues participará da reunião de amanhã. Mr Rodrigues will take part in tomorrow’s meeting.

Os gerentes escolherão as datas de entrega. The managers will select the delivery dates.

O que nós faremos nas férias do fim de ano? What will we do for the end of the year vacation?

To practice using the future tense, change the sentences below from immediate future to future. Follow the first example. You’ll find the answers below.

1- Eu vou á escola. (I’m going to school.) Eu irei à escola. (I will go to school.)

2- Eles vão passear no parque. (They’re going to take a stroll in the park.)

3- Nós não vamos comer carne. (We’re not going to eat meat.)

4- Vocês vão chegar mais cedo amanhã? (Are you going to arrive early tomorrow?)

5- As crianças vão brincar juntas. (The children are going to play together.)

Answers:

2- Eles irão passear no parque. (They’ll take a stroll in the park.)

3- Nós não comeremos carne. (We won’t eat meat.)

4- Vocês chegarão mais cedo amanhã? (Will you arrive early tomorrow?)

5- As crianças brincarão juntas. (The children will play together.)

Now use the future tense to write your New Year’s resolutions in Portuguese.

Register or Sign In to comment.