February idiom: Die Nase voll haben

Here we go again. Our February idiom is sure to add a lot of color to your German vocabulary! 
"Die Nase voll haben" literally translates to "to have the nose full" and basically means "to be fed up".
The English equivalent of the phrase "Ich habe die Nase voll" would be, "I have it up to here" or "I am sick of something" or "I am fed up". 

German speakers will use this phrase with a certain amount of force and aggression. It is colloquial in nature and should be avoided in formal situations. Because the speaker expresses that he is irritated or even angry about something, this phrase should be used with caution. 
Nevertheless, if you are in Germany, you will hear this phrase all the time.

Here are some examples:
"Bitte geh jetzt. Ich habe die Nase voll von dir" 
(Please go now. I am fed up with you)
"Ich habe die Nase voll von der Politik der Kanzlerin. Das nächste Mal wähle ich anders"
(I have it up to here with the chancellor's politics. Next time, I will vote differently.)
"Er ist gegangen. Er hatte die Nase voll von der Warterei.)
"He left. He was sick of waiting around.)

The origin of the phrase seems obvious. If you have the sniffles, your nose will be full which is indeed an irritating state to be in. It is easy to see how that condition morphed into this expression.

Very frequently, Germans will also substitute the noun Nase in this expression for other words that will make the sentiment behind it even stronger, ruder and far more aggressive. One examples that comes to mind would be "Schnauze". 
This substitute does not alter the meaning of the phrase, but definitely heightens the aggression and irritation contained within it. However, "Ich habe die Schnauze voll" is still ok to use among friends.
A slightly weaker example would be "Hals".

Sign In to comment.