Tips for when to use formal pronouns in Portuguese

Portuguese does not use a different pronoun to indicate when speech is formal, as the vous in French, or usted in Spanish, for example.

Instead, Brazilian Portuguese uses the words senhorsir, and senhoramadam to this purpose. In writing the abbreviated forms Sr. (Mr.) and Sra. (Mrs./Ms.) are used.

The formal senhor and senhora take the same conjugation as the second person singular used for você  (you), and the plurals senhores and senhoras take the second person plural used for vocês (you). 

Here’s an example with the verb serto be, in the present tense:

Eu sou – I am

Você é – You are

O senhor é – You are (formal masc.)

A senhora é – You are (formal fem.)

Ele é – He is

Ela é – She is

Nós somos – We are 

Vocês são – You are

Os senhores são – You are (formal plural masc.)

As senhoras são – You are (formal plural fem.)

Eles são – They are

Elas são – They are

Notice that the formal pronouns are preceded by the articles o/os, the (masc.) and a/as the (fem.) since in Portuguese a noun follows an article.

Although Brazilians are mostly informal people, the formal senhorand senhora are used when addressing older people and people of a higher hierarchy at work. 

Also notice that Brazilians mainly use o senhor / a senhora with a person’s first name.

Look at the dialogue below with examples of how to use the formal.

Laura: Bom dia, Sr. JorgeGood morning, Mr. Jorge

Sr. Jorge: Bom dia, LauraGood morning, Laura.

Laura: O senhor me chamou? Did you call me?

Sr. Jorge: Sim, eu gostaria de lhe apresenta à Sra. Glória Santos. Ela será a nova gerente. Yes, I’d like to introduce you to Ms. Glória Santos. She will be the new manager. 

Laura: Muito prazer em conhecê-la, Sra. Glória. Bem vinda à empresaIt’s a pleasure to meet you Ms. Gloria. Welcome to the company.

Sra. Glória: Prazer e obrigada, LauraPleasure and thank you, Laura.

In spoken Portuguese the term o senhor is usually abbreviated to seu as in: Muito prazer, Seu Agenor; and senhora becomes dona, as in Dona Glória é a nova gerente. 

Can you make the following sentences formal? The answers are below.

1. Tudo bem, Paulo? – How are you, Paulo?

2. Você pode me ajudar? Can you help me?

3. Vocês são americanos? Are you American?

4. Você é francesa? Are you French?

5. Vocês são italianas? Are you Italian?

Answers: (1. Tudo bem, Sr Paulo?); 2. O senhor / A senhora pode me ajudar? 3. Os senhores são americanos? 4. A senhora é francesa? 5. As senhoras são italianas?)

Register or Sign In to comment.