As of June 30, 2018, live e-Tutoring has been discontinued.
Please click here for more information.

Negative te form?

Hi
I'm just wondering what the negative te form is.
Thanks.

Comments

• Kon'nichiwa. Thank you for your question.

There are a few negative te form usages. I'll talk about the two major ones below.

First and foremost, you can use the negative te form to make negative commands like "Don't smoke!"  This makes sense because we use the regular te form to make regular commands like "Study hard!"

For example, let's take a verb たべる taberu ("eat"). The regular te form is たべて tabete, and the negative te form is たべないで tabenaide. Please see the regular command and negative command examples below:

たべてください!
    Tabete kudasai!

"Please eat!"

たべないでください!
    Tabenaide kudasai!

"Please don't eat!"

You can omit the expression ください kudasai. Then it will be just たべて! Tabete! ("Eat!") and たべないで! Tabenaide! ("Don't eat!").

Please note that although we say "te" form and negative "te" form, sometimes the form ends with "de" instead of "te". For example, the te form of のむ nomu ("drink") is のんで nonde (but not "nonte"). And in fact, ALL negative te forms end with de.

Now, let's move on to the other negative te form usage. You can use it to say the phrase "without...ing". Please see the examples:

たけしはさようならをいわないでさりました。
    Takeshi wa sayounara o iwanaide sarimashita.

"Takeshi left without saying good-bye."

いわないで iwanaide is the negative form of いう iu ("say")

たけしはあさごはんをたべないでがっこうにいきました。
    Takeshi wa asagohan o tabenaide gakkou ni ikimashita.

"Takeshi went to school without eating breakfast."

たべないで tabenaide is the negative form of たべる taberu ("eat")

たけしはじしょをつかわないでにほんごのほんをよみます。
    Takeshi wa jisho o tsukawanaide nihongo no hon o yomimasu.

"Takeshi reads Japanese books without using a dictionary."

つかわないで tsukawanaide is the negative form of つかう tsukau ("use")

I hope this answers your question!
  • edited November 2017
    Just a bit confused about the 'wanaide' vs 'naide'.
    I take it the wa in naide is added because it's treated similar to negative class 1 plain verbs that end in au... eg: kawanai.
    But why is 'say' (iu) iwanaide? as that ends in iu not au.
    Thanks
  • Kon'nichiwa. Thank yo fo ryour question.

'iu' (to say) is also a class 1 verb. So 'w' is inserted to its negative plain and negative te forms, just like 'au' (to meet), 'kau' (to buy), 'omou' (to think), etc.

plain - neg plain - neg te
    iu - iwanai - iwanaide
    au - awanai - awanaide
    kau - kawanai - kawanaide
    omou - omowanai - omowanaide
  • edited December 2018
    Hello and happy new year.
    Can you please tell me the difference between naide and nakute negative te forms? In every forum Ive looked up this people dont seem to have a definitive answer.

Also do I need to learn both to be a fluent speaker or can I get by with just knowing one?
    Thanks
  • The two forms are used for different purposes.

For example, if you want to make a negative command (such as "Don't go!"), you have to use the "naide" form. You can never use the "nakute" form to make a negative command.

Ikanaide!... Don't go!
    Ikanaide kudasai...! Please don't go!

The "nakute" form can be used, among other things, to mention more than one verb or i-adjective in one sentence.

e.g.
    Kono ramen wa oishikunakute, yasukunakute, sukijanai.
    This ramen is not delicious or cheap, and I don't like it.
Register or Sign In to comment.