As of June 30, 2018, live e-Tutoring has been discontinued.
Please click here for more information.

Essential Korean Lesson 5 question

edited September 2017 in Korean
Hello everyone,

In Workout 1, there is a sentence that I need to translate, which is "I have a new
computer and a big, ugly TV in the long room". The book answer suggests 긴
방에 새 컴퓨터와 못생긴 텔레비전 이 있어요 but this translates to "I have a new computer
and an ugly TV in the long room".
 Wouldn't 긴 방에 새 컴프터가 그리고 큰고 못생긴 텔레비전이
있어요 be better? Also the book sometimes never explains subtle changes in particles, such as the 와 in 컴퓨터와. Why does the book use this instead of 하고 or 그리고? What if I wanted to write 긴 방에 새 컴프터하고 큰고 못생긴 텔레비전이
있어요. How do I connect two adjectives after an and?

Thanks a lot!

Comments

• Hello!

First of all, I don't see any problem with the translation " 긴 방에 새 컴퓨터와 못생긴 텔레비젼이 있어요." (Actually, you should add "크고" in front of "못생긴". 

a big, ugly TV -> 크고 못생긴 텔레비젼

If you translate the sentence as 긴 방에 새 컴퓨터가 그리고 크고 못생긴 텔레비젼이 있어요, you are making only 새 컴퓨터 as a subject in this sentence. It should be 새 컴퓨터와 크고 못생긴 텔레비젼. 

a new computer->새 컴퓨터

+

a big, ugly TV-> 크고 못생긴 텔레비젼 

-가 is usually used as a subject.

ex) My computer is broken. -> 내 컴퓨터 고장났다. 

In addition, when you use 'and' in order to connect nouns, you can translate as '하고' '랑' , or '와'  not '그리고'.

ex) I love bananas and apples. -> 나는 바나나하고 사과를 좋아한다. (O)
                                                           나는 바나나랑 사과를 좋아한다.(O)
                                                          나는 바나나와 사과를 좋아한다. (O)

'그리고' or '-고'usually connects a little longer phrases or sentences. 

ex)  I love bananas and my brother loves apples. -> 나는 바나나를 좋아하, 내동생은 사과를 좋아합니다.  (O)
                                                                    ->  나는 바나나를 좋아합니다. 그리고 내 동생은 사과를 좋아합니다. (O)     

I hope it helps!

Best,

April
  • The problem was the book answer omitted the word Big, so I'll chalk it up to an overlook! About the various forms of And, I appreciate the extra heads up there as the book never iterates of where '랑' or '와' come from. A small follow up question regarding '랑", where do people usually make use of it? Does it have the same function as '와' and '하고'?

Thanks a lot!
  • Yes :) '랑' can be used as '와' and '하고'. As you can see from my previous post example, you can use '랑', '와'and '하고' interchangeably. Here are some situations that you can use them. 

1. used to combine two or more nouns or pronouns.

2. as a preposition 'with'

-Do you want to go see a movie with me? 나  영화 보러 갈래?
                                                                       나   영화 보러갈래?
                                                                       나하고 영화보러 갈래?

Feel free to ask me if you have further questions. 
Register or Sign In to comment.