As of June 30, 2018, live e-Tutoring has been discontinued.
Please click here for more information.

no wa arimasu?

Hi
Can you tell me why on page 49 advanced there's a sentence...
Uuru hyakupaasento de, chairo ka guree no wa arimasu ka
I'm confused about the no wa arimasu. Why is there a no after guree. Why not just a wa?
To my knowledge there hasn't been a lesson on using this type of grammar.
Thanks

Comments

• edited June 10
    The particle "no" has several different functions, and in this example, the "no" corresponds to the English "one" as in "the gray one", "the big one", "the nice one", etc. We can replace a specific noun with the particle "no" when it is apparent from the context.

In the textbook example, if I remember correctly, the person is talking about sweaters. Since it is apparent that the customer is asking about sweaters, he/she says, "Do you have either a brown or a gray ONE?" instead of "Do you have either a brown or a gray SWEATER?"

So the particle "no" here is used independent of the "...arimasu" grammar. The "no" is simply used in place of "sweater".

• Does this 'no' only apply to the number 1? It's just that in previous lessons the number 1 was actually something else, I think it was ichi.
  • The particle "no" corresponds to the English "one" as in "that big one", "the blue one", "the expensive one"; i.e. the kind of "one" that replaces a noun in a context where the reference of the noun is apparent to the participants of a conversation. The particle "no" can never correspond to other use cases of "one" in English. For example, the particle "no" cannot be the "one" as in "one thousand dollars", "you are the one I love", "let me tell you one important thing", etc.

Register or Sign In to comment.