As of June 30, 2018, live e-Tutoring has been discontinued.
Please click here for more information.

the ni particle before mo?

I'm having trouble getting this (p.50)
Jiinzu ni mo pantsu ni mo aimasu
Why does the ni particle come before  'also'. I thought if anything it would be before the verb 'match'. Is this an indirect object marker in this instance?

Comments

• What is important here is the difference between the English verb 'match' and its Japanese equivalent 'aimasu'.

As you know, the English verb 'match' is a transitive verb. A transitive verb takes a direct object, as opposed to an indirect object. So we say, "This sweater matches these pants", but NOT "This sweater matches to these pants".

The Japanese equivalent 'aimasu', however, is an intransitive verb. So in Japanese we have to say, "This sweater matches to the pants" (even though that's wrong in English). That's why you need the particle 'ni' here, which functions as something like 'to' in English. 

So this is a case where the English verb is a transitive verb but the Japanese equivalent is an intransitive verb. I can also give you a famous example where the English verb is intransitive but the Japanese equivalent is transitive. In English, the verb 'wait' is an intransitive verb. So we say, 'I wait for a bus', but not 'I wait a bus'. In Japanese, on the other hand, the verb 'machimasu' is a transitive verb. So we say, 'Basu o machimasu' but not 'Basu ni machimasu'.

• Thanks
Register or Sign In to comment.