As of June 30, 2018, live e-Tutoring has been discontinued.
Please click here for more information.

The pronunciation of the o particle

I notice on the CD some of the speakers are pronouncing the o particle quite differently than before depending on the word that comes before.

For example:
On page 57.
...atardashii apaato o sagashite imasu
On page 58
Kinoo biiru o nomisugimashita kara...

In both examples the speaker actually omits the last vowel of the word and instead replaces it with "or", leaves out the o all together then just says the verb.
o for apaato becomes apaator sagashite
and
u for biiru becomes biiror nomisugimashita

This makes it difficult to understand given in other examples have a more defined  o or in some cases wo.

I realize this is  a way to make the words more fluid but I'm just wondering if it's common to do this with words that end in u or o like the above examples? Is this an unwritten rule? If it is are there more I need to worry about?
Thanks

Comments

• The Japanese vowels are sometimes pronounced very weak. Actually, in both of the instances you pointed out, no vowel has been omitted. You probably could not hear them because it was pronounced so weak.

So there is no "vowel omission rule" in Japanese, but instead, what you may want to remember is that not every vowel in Japanese is pronounced clearly especially when people speak fast.

It's wonderful that you've been listening to the audio. That's really the best way to learn the authentic pronunciation. Please keep listening and imitating what you hear!
Register or Sign In to comment.