As of June 30, 2018, live e-Tutoring has been discontinued.
Please click here for more information.

Typing in Russian

edited August 2013 in Russian

I use a program called TypeIt to add foreign language characters. You can choose from a number of languages. I use TypeIt for French, Esperanto, and now Russian.

It is a freeware product. License costs something like $15.

It's easier than using the Windows keyboard. I recommend it for typing Russian Cyrillic characters.

Mitch

Comments

• Здравствуйте, Mitch, 

Thank you for the useful tip. I've been using similar online programs. 

1. You can also buy dual language keyboard stickers that will teach you how to use the Russian keyboard in case you are not connected to the Internet. You'll need to add the Russian language in addition to English on your computer and switch when needed from English to Russian. 

2. You can also use www.translit.ru, similar to the one you suggested, Typeit, or enable Russian through the Google's language input tools to type in Russian when conducting emails with Gmail. 

Большое спасибо!

Всего хорошего (All the best), 
    Наташа

• edited December 2013
    I've been using TypeIt and I love it. Большое спесибо for the tip!
  • Отлично! Задавайте ещё вопросы, пожалуйста :)

Пока,
    Наташа 
  • If you happen to own the Microsoft Office suite (Word, Excel, et cetera) it comes with multiple keyboards that you can activate for various languages, i.e., Russian, Chinese. To activate or change the keyboard, it is under 'Control Panel' but I won't belabor this forum with those instructions other than to say it is fairly straightforward to activate and once activated you can click on the small icon in the bottom right of your screen to toggle between your input keyboards. Note that the Cyrillic keyboard is similar, perhaps identical, to the one used in Google Translate.

I did have a question about Russian grammar. Apologies if I am wrong in writing this out, but
    One says - У меня много работы и у Вас много работы? но он него много работы. (?) Почему не, его много работы?  
    Perhaps this is just a different case (not accusative) that I haven't studied yet?

Also, матрос не вопрос, или матрос не зарпос?

Tim
  • edited February 2014
    Здравствуйте, Тим!

Thanks for sharing your tips about the keyboards. Another way to toggle between RU and EN keyboards (after they've been activated) is to press SHIFT and ALT keys together. Works great! 

Наташа

• edited February 2014
    Tim, 

And lastly, this is a well-known folk/conversational expression (answer) that rhymes when someone asks you if you have any questions. Then you can answer: У матросов нет вопросов!, meaning that all is clear to you, and that you have no questions. :)  

Question: У матросов есть вопросы? (Do sailors have any questions?)
    Answer: У матросов нет вопросов! (Sailors have no questions!)

Tim, if you have any more questions, У вас есть ещё вопросы?, please don't hesitate to ask! I am here to help!

До свидания!
    Наташа

• edited February 2014
    Tim, 

To know where to use "него" vs. "его" in the phrase: у него много работы (he has a lot of work, or literally: by him there is a lot of work), you need to know a general rule says that once you define these 3 personal pronouns: он (he)она (she),они (they), the letter "Н" will be added before each of these pronouns in the Genitive case with propositions, such as у (by)за (behind)на (on), без (without), etc.: у него, у неё, у них.

Only when его, её, их act as the possessive pronouns which require no propositions before them, hence no "Н" needed in the beginning of each of these words: Его куртка на стуле, но у него нет шапки. (His jacket is on the chair but he doesn't have any hat.) Я без неё никуда не пойду! (I won't go anywhere without her!) Её школа там.(Her school is there.) 

PLEASE NOTE: Here, I am only covering the Gen. case. 
    More information about how these pronouns are used in other cases, please read here: http://www.italki.com/question/127004

Всего хорошего!
    Наташа
  • Thank you for the clarifications regarding Его и (а?) У Него. It makes sense. The confusion for me was created through Google's translation program which used Он его instead of У Него, which seemed wrong but checked out okay (on Google translate) when I "reversed" things. It didn't help me much when these two phrases are pretty close sounding when spoken. 

У меня сегодня нет вопросы (может быть завтра). большое спасибо! 

• Здравствуйте, Тим! 

I am glad my clarification about его/у него helped. 

One tiny correction in your sentence: У меня сегодня нет вопросов. After the word "нет" always comes the Genitive case (singular or plural). Thus, вопросы (Nominative, plural, the ending "") --> вопросов (Genitive, plural, the ending "-ов"). 

I'll be waiting for more questions!

До скорых встреч!
    Наташа
  • hello наталия, and other товарищи, just wondering, we are asked to practice by inserting stress / accent marks to indicate stressed syllables. i installed the wincompose software but can't get it to work with the standard windows 10 russian keyboard. any idea how to do that? I want it to work for whatever application i'm typing in, like browser, openoffice, mainly. suggestions? thanks спасибо
  • edited November 2017
    Здравствуйте Tom! 
    If you're having trouble typing accents in Russian, you can underline the way Наташа did above to indicate stress. Much easier than trying to get the system to type accents above the Cyrillic, I find! 
    Hope this helps. 
    -Сюзанна
  • Спасибо, Сюзанна, за Вашу помощь!

Тим, пишите, если будут ещё вопросы.

Наташа
Register or Sign In to comment.